Dry skin is a condition when the skin becomes red, scaly and itchy. The problem worsens during winter and it is important to cope up with dry skin at such a time. Dry skin is commonly found on face, hands, arms and legs. Dry skin becomes more prominent as you age.
Causes of dry skin
The number of sebaceous glands which secretes oil from the skin diminishes as you get older. The skin’s ability to absorb moisture also lowers with age. The amount of fat contained in the outer layer of the skin, known as epidermis, determines the skin’s ability to absorb water and how well it is able to protect the body. Dry skin can also be caused due to genes. You are more likely to develop dry skin if any of your relatives suffer from the condition. Climate changes, environmental effects and over-use of soap and water are the other reasons for dry skin. Besides, staying in unhygienic conditions can also cause dry skin.
Ways to combat dry skin effectively
- Ensure that you take a bath or shower only for 5 to 10 minutes. Most of the skin’s oily layer is striped when you bathe for more than 10 minutes. This causes the skin to lose moisture, thereby leading to dry skin.
- Avoid using deodorant soaps, perfumed soaps, and alcohol products, which absorb natural oils from your skin. Instead opt for soap-free cleansers.
- The spaces between your skin cells are plugged by applying moisturizer immediately after bathing or washing your hands. This also helps in moisturizing your skin while it is moist.
- Try to avoid itching, as it would spread to other parts of the body and cause serious problems. Control the itch by applying a moisturizer.
- Woolen and other fabrics irritate the skin and should therefore be avoided.
Natural remedies to cure dry skin
- Yogurt has a mild exfoliating action and helps removing dry skin. You will feel refreshed and comfortable after applying yogurt.
- Drinking 8-10 glasses of water daily helps to alleviate dry skin. Water hydrates the body and gives the skin a glowing complexion.
- Honey acts as a natural moisturizer and is capable of killing impurities in the skin. It is best for acne treatment.
- Avocadoes improve the health and vitality of your skin. A paste made from this fruit and applied to the body, nourishes your skin.
- Including spices like turmeric, cumin, and coriander in your diet helps in relieving dry skin.
Besides, these natural remedies sufficient sleep and healthy diet are also essential for treating dry skin. Following a regular exercise routine is the best way to get rid of dry skin. Your pores are unblocked when you sweat while exercising. The natural oils come on the surface of the skin when you sweat and this hydrates the skin.